What are you cooking in your slow cooker (aka Crock-Pot) this week? Need a new recipe? How about a Butternut Squash Curry that takes just a few minutes to prepare and tastes like you cooked it all day?
The secret to this dish is the slow cooker, of course. Have you met me? I am all about saving time with my slow cooker. I often have two of them fired up at a time.
Also, Trader Joe’s Curry Powder. This is a spice, not the jar sauce that usually gets moldy before I can use the whole jar. #BestIdeaEver
Just mix it in with your vegetables and let the slow cooker do it’s magic. Hours later, you’ve got a wonderful spelling house and an authentic curry.
My recipe also uses TJ’s pre-cut butternut squash. While I usually dice my own veggies, this little luxury is well worth it, IMHO.
- 1 package of cut butternut squash (Trader Joe's is good, or about 4 cups of fresh cut squash, skin removed)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 large tomatoes (or ½ can diced tomatoes)
- 4 medium potatoes, skin on, diced
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 TB olive oil
- ½ C chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs Trader Joe's curry spice
- Fresh Cilantro
- Salt to taste
- garnish- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups prepared rice
- optional - 1lb fresh or defrosted chicken, sliced and cooked
- optional- ½ head fresh cauliflower, washed and separated into bite sized sections
- Combine the first seven ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Add optional ingredients.
- Add olive oil, broth, and Trader Joe's Curry Spice, ½ tsp salt, then stir all ingredients together.
- Cook on slow for 7-8 hours, or on high 4-6.
- Serve over prepared rice.
- Garnish with plain Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro.
Will this inspire you to break out your slow cooker this week? I hope so. With the time you save in meal planning, you could organize another project.