I need to eat more fish. The trouble is, fish seems expensive and hard to keep in the fridge. But canned salmon…that I almost always have in the pantry.
The trouble with canned salmon is, well, have you looked at it? It looks pretty gross coming out of the can, and you’re supposed to “flake” it with a fork and mush the crunchy bits (aka bones) back in before you add it to a dish.
Well today, I took the easy way out and ended up inventing a new recipe, saving some time in the bargain. Let me know if this will help you get more fish into your diet, too.
Start with these ingredients.
Use a KitchenAid mixer to “flake” the salmon by mixing on medium/low for a couple of minutes. I’m kind of on a mission to make more with my KitchenAid beyond baked goods. (Click to see more recipes.)
Throw the other ingredients in the mix. Saute patties about the size of your palm. Serve over a bed of quinoa or your favorite grain. I had a quinoa + veggie mix bagged side dish in the freezer, which was the perfect base for this dish, with just a little spice.
Truth time…my cottage cheese needed to be used up ASAP. I’m pretty sure that’s how all good recipes come to be. Originally these were just going to be salmon patties, but when the kids told me they liked it, and it kind of tasted like tacos, that’s when lightning struck.
- 14 oz can of salmon
- ¼ c seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup of cottage cheese
- 1 medium onion, diced and sauteed
- ½ red pepper
- salt & pepper
- Use the KitchenAid mixer to "flake" the canned salmon by mixing on med/low for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the diced onions,
- Add the remaining ingredients, including onion, into the mixer bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- For patties about the size of your palm, and saute in the pan that the onions cooked in.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until the side of the patty is crispy.
- Serve on soft, warmed tortillas, over a bed of couscous or your favorite grain.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream.
Of course, tacos are very open to improvisation. Use a different grain if you don’t have quinoa. Or substitute veggies. Swap in a different sauce. Whatever sounds good to you. But I was surprised what a good filling these salmon patties made for these tacos.
Let me know what you think.
This Post Has One Comment
This is a great idea. I like tacos and salmon so I am going to make this.
Comments are closed.