I rely on a slow cooker just as much in the summer as I do in the winter, perhaps even more so. It’s a great way to prepare a home cooked meal without heating up the oven, and with just a few minutes of prep. This summer soup is ideal because it makes use of summer grilled leftovers and beans, a superstar food.
- 1 cup dried white beans (cannellini beans)
- Leftover grilled sausage, pork, chicken or other meat, chopped into small bite-sized chunks
- 1-2 whole carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
- Water (apx 4-6 cups)
- The day before, soak dried beans in cold water for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Combine leftover meat, soaked beans, carrots, and sun-dried tomatoes in oil in your slow cooker.
- Add enough water to the crock cover ingredients by at least an inch.
- Cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- *If using canned beans, reduce cooking time to 4-6 hours on low.
You’ll notice that I haven’t added any seasoning to this recipe. If you use spiced sausage, the soup will absorb the spices from the meat. Also, the oil from the sun dried tomatoes will add a lovely mild taste to the soup. Of course, you may add salt or onions to the soup as well, but I like to keep things light. The real elegance in this dish is using very few ingredients and using up leftovers. I also felt that this dish did well served lukewarm, although it would be just as good served piping hot during the winter.
Like all slow cooker dishes, add enough water to allow the beans to cook the entire cooking time without having to lift the lid. You never want to lift the lid and let out heat during the slow cooker cycle.
I’m sure you’ve already added a chunk of hearty bread or buttery crackers. I know I did.
Chop. Mix. Simmer. Enjoy!
This Post Has 4 Comments
Hi Darla, I love using my crock pot in the summer too! Awesome recipe! Can’t wait to make it. Have a Happy Mother’s Day!
Hope you enjoy it, Deb. Those slow cookers are awesome for time management, right? Thanks for reading!
I always enjoy your posts and suggestions. They seem to fit my lifestyle perfectly:) Thanks!
Natalie, that is so great! If you are anything like me and apparently you are, you don’t have extra time in your day, so I really appreciate you taking a moment to comment. Thanks for reading!
Comments are closed.