Happy Snow Day. If you are like most moms, there’s just never enough time, but a snow day changes the entire equation. Suddenly, filling a whole day is an opportunity! I feel like Pinterest is the modern-day go-to spot for all those things my grandmother taught me, and these are the things that my kids are still happy to learn while it’s fun, and not work for them. Here are twelve Pinterest-Inspired things to do with your kid on a snow day. If there’s any extra time on my snow day, I might be pinning, so feel free to follow my boards.
1. Teach them to sew. Button, hems, sewing doll clothes. Save yourself some money, and let your kid experience the blessings of a pricked finger. If you don’t have actual sewing supplies, use a hole punch to make holes in the border of felt or paper shapes that you trace or draw, then have them thread yarn over and under. That’s my 5 year old taking charge with the needle.
2. Bake bread. Mine will be in a bread maker. Already on the counter for the morning. The house will smell SOOO good by lunch time.
3. Remove stickers. My kiddos love stickers, but when they stick to furniture or other household things, yuck. They can learn to take them off, and it isn’t hard. I learned from my friend Carrie that Orange Essential Oil easily removes stickers! Older kids can also use WD-40 or Goof Off .
4. Learn to ice skate. Purchase skates second hand at PlayItAgain Sports or consignment sales. Check local ponds and rinks for safety conditions and hours.
5. Bake a pie. Of course.
6. Hold a fashion show. Have the kiddos model their favorite outfits for you, and help them learn some fashion do’s and don’ts in a fun way.
8. Shovel snow. A kid-sized shovel has huge appeal!
9. Make your own fajita seasoning.
10. Give each other manicures. A girl can learn to be thrifty very early in life.
11. Make blessing bags.
12. Just breathe and do yoga together. My kiddos love to do a baby yoga DVD that I’ve had forever. They grab their baby doll or stuffed animal and do the whole drill. We might not need the exercise after shoveling, but even simple yoga moves are sure to calm them down for 10 minutes. Don’t have a DVD? Search YouTube and apps.
Well, I’ve got my day planned. I’m gonna need a vacation! Happy snow day.