By popular request, I’ve been asked to post this Slow Cooker Turkey & Spinach Lasagna, one of our favorite dishes. I hope it becomes one of your favorites, too. If you wonder why I feature so many slow-cooker recipes, it’s because nothing saves time, money, and calories like having a healthy, home cooked dinner organized and cooking by 10 am.
I actually did not even think about posting this here on the blog, and so the only picture I have (above) is the assembled ingredients before cooking. Next time I make it, I’ll snap an after picture for you.
You’ll notice that all of my slow cooker recipes are of the “dump and run” variety. I don’t want you to chop, dice, brown, braise, saute or wash anything you don’t have to. That is the time saving, organizing magic of the slow cooker! I hope you enjoy this shortcut version of classic lasagna.
Also, this is a great recipe for busy summer days. Add a huge salad as a side dish, and you have a great dinner without heating up the oven.
Just one note, this is one of the very few slow-cooker or crock-pot recipes that you don’t want to cook on high or cook for longer than suggested. Because of the dairy content, this dish will overcook and not be quite as tasty as if would be if you stick to the directions.
- Sauce Layer:
- 1 pound ground turkey, fully thawed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with Garlic and Oregano (or any brand with Italian seasonings) (do not drain!)
- 1 cup your favorite spaghetti sauce (may substitute canned tomato sauce)
- 1 small package of frozen chopped spinach, fully thawed
- Optional: 1 can sliced mushrooms or ½ c fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Cheese Layer:
- 8 oz cottage cheese (may substitute ricotta cheese)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pasta Layer:
- 6 dry lasagna noodles, uncooked
- In a large bowl, stir the ground turkey and spinach together.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato/spaghetti sauce.
- Add mushrooms if desired.
- Set aside.
- In a second large bowl, stir together all six cheese layer ingredients and mix well.
- Set aside.
- Ladle ¼ cup of the sauce into the bottom of a slow cooker and cover the bottom completely.
- Break three-four uncooked lasagna noodles into large pieces, and arrange them to cover the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cover with ⅓ of the cheese mixture.
- Then pour ⅓ of the remaining sauce on the pasta.
- Add another layer of broken pasta noodles, taking care to arrange them as well as you can right up to the sides of the slow cooker pot.
- Add ⅓ of the cheese mixture.
- Add ⅓ of the sauce
- Finish with the remaining ½ cup of the cheese mixture, either placed evenly over the sauce layer, or in dollops.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours. Do not overcook this dish. This is one of the few slow cooker dishes that will overcook.
- Serve warm.
- This lasagna is also excellent as leftovers.