Happy first of the month! Each first of the month, I go through all these tiny organizing routines that I’ve never written down, but I thought I’d do a quickie post for you today. I guess I’ve got too much momentum from the 31 Days of Clutter-Free Living.
Most importantly, I get to throw out my contacts and start with a new pair. Yay!
Here are some other things that may or may not get done to organize on the first of the month:
- Filing papers from my kitchen counter into my filing system.
- Change air filters. Clean humidifiers.
- Clean the fridge (This is especially great to do the day before you go food shopping.)
- Turn the physical calendar hanging in the kitchen and check for major upcoming events. Kittycat has been giving me daily countdown of days until her birthday.
- If you send out greeting cards, check your Perpetual Birthday Calendar. (I don’t, hubby does.)
- Clean makeup brushes.
- Treat my minivan to a car wash.
- I don’t have a bulletin board, but if you do, now is a great time to give it a 2-minute makeover. Purge outdated items and straighten things that stay on the board.
- Clean out my purse.
- Turn or flip the mattress.
- Sigh. If it is the first of April, August, or December, I am getting in the habit of requesting my free credit report for the year. Which one? It doesn’t matter, but I’m going at them in alphabetical order. April/Equifax. August/Experian. December/TransUnion. I’ll never actually remember, this, so I have a recurring reminder on my calendar. Remember, go through the government’s website https://AnnualCreditReport.com, and it’s free.
Then there are the ones I remind you about on Facebook each month. Are you following me there?
- Check your Tickler file for upcoming To Do’s. (If you don’t have a Tickler File, you probably want to sign up for our Filing Freedom class.)
- Download your photos from cameras and phones, and delete obvious trash pictures.
- Check your Carbonite or Backblaze backup, and your External Hard Drives to ensure they are working.
What else do you do on the first of the month to stay organized?