Part of staying organized is having healthy go-to meals, preferably going in the slow cooker. One of my family’s favorite dishes is chicken with wine and olives, and it’s a great recipe with very few ingredients.I’ll warn you that this has more drama than my usual blog posts.
But even something fail-proof can fail. I threw this together one Saturday morning, and then we all headed out for the day.
This dish goes great with a side of couscous and grilled zucchini. Doesn’t it look yummy?
But don’t grab that fork just yet. It seems we might have a problem. At some point, we might have had a power outage. No, even better, my Crock-pot died. Minutes before I’m set to serve dinner, hubby and I are looking at a crock of cold chicken. Sadly, those sides are the only thing we had for dinner that night.
Let’s start again. The only tricky part about this recipe is the red wine. Cook with the same wine you drink with, and it’s sure to be a recipe you love. I like my reds sweeter, so I tend to stick with the zinfandels. And be sure to use chicken thighs, not chicken breasts.
- 4-6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 can of pitted black olives
- ~1 cup red wine (dry or semi-sweet, to your taste)
- 1 tsp finely crushed dried rosemary
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Can be cooked from frozen.
- layer olives, then wine, then rosemary on the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 4-6 hours.
- You will likely not need to baste at all, but you may check during the last hour of cooking to be sure all the chicken is in the liquid.
- Serve with suggested sides such as couscous, mashed potatoes, and grilled vegetables.
Yes, you could make this in the oven, but why, when a slow cooker makes it virtually impossible to overcook? This time, I used my swanky new Calphalon slow cooker that I also love for tacos. Ah, that’s better. This is what it’s supposed to look like!
This time I paired it with mashed potatoes and carrots.
During this busy season, this is exactly the kind of easy-peasy no-fuss meal you’ll be thrilled to come home to. Enjoy and share with friends by pinning it to your dinner and crock pot boards.