If you are lucky enough to have a mudroom, then you know what a challenge it is to keep it organized. It’s a natural drop zone for everyone and everything. It can often look like this.
Mudroom before organizing:
This little mudroom is right off the garage (right) and also has the laundry off to the left, a pantry and a storage closet. Talk about spaces to collect clutter!
Keeping this organized is a family affair, but usually one person will lead the charge.
Usually it’s mom.
But getting it organized when it gets crazy doesn’t have to be a big deal. A few simple tips is all it takes. Use the SPACE organizing formula I told you about to get through this project quickly.
- Label cubbies so people know where to find important things stored here, like batteries and light bulbs.
- Clear out seasonal items each season.
- Assign a place for shoes.
- Create collection spots (like these pretty bins below) for items for specific family members, so they can go through them.
- Keep bags to a minimum. Like hangers, they reproduce when we’re not looking, and become a big part of the clutter problem.
In a very short amount of time (about an hour), we went through all the cabinets and drawers and counter top in this area and came up with this.
Doesn’t that make you smile when coming in (or going out of) the house?
By the way, if you aren’t lucky enough to have a mudroom, maybe you’ll like this rolling boot tray to organize the front hall closet.