Time to organize the sock drawer. This is a small enough project to get through in just 30 minutes or less. There are only 5 steps, and they are the same, whether we’re organizing sock drawers, garages, time, or information. SORT and Succeed:
- Start with a written goal
- Organize into groups
- Reduce, release and reset
- Succeed and Celebrate
Sock Drawer Before:
- If you write down your goal, you are more likely to make it happen, and you are less likely to get sidetracked.
- Start by removing everything and sorting into piles. You might have summer socks, dress socks, gym socks, and pantyhose (God forbid).
- Reduce and release. Don’t think about it too hard. If you didn’t wear them in the last year, if they are worn through, if you are left with singles, or if the elastic is shot when you stretch them…evict them from the sock drawer! You can re-use as dusting cloths. If you have a large bag, then you can mark them in a bag as “recyclable” and send them off to a thrift store that recycles textiles.
- Once you’ve created your sorted piles, you most likely need a reset. Do your socks now fit comfortably in the same drawer? Do you need a smaller drawer? One that is more shallow? A larger space?
- Always use something you already have before you spend money on the latest organizing gadget. I grabbed some small shoe boxes from my kiddos, and they fit perfectly. Some sock stacks went inside the boxes, and some went in the spaces between the boxes, Either way, they are now corralled.
Organized Sock Drawer After:
- It might take a few minutes to find the best configuration, but you can always tweak your setup. Maintenance should be easy for socks. I mean, who wants to spend extra time with socks? If you are lucky enough to have a family member who helps with putting away the laundry, be sure to show them what your organized drawer looks like, and explain how socks should be put back. (By color, by function, how to fold them, etc.) Yes, it’s basic, but basic is good.
- If you are not a normally organized person, and you are the one who puts your socks away, then maybe snap a picture now of the organized version of the drawer, and keep it in the drawer. You might even want to label the different areas so you can “remind yourself” through the labels where things should go.
Organized Sock Drawer- Pretty It Up
If you really want to take it to the next level, buy some drawer dividers or, better yet, use what you already have. Use shoe boxes wrapped in pretty paper to create the ultimate sock drawer.
Did you succeed? Then let’s celebrate! In another lifetime, I would follow in Michael Jordan’s sock-steps. He’s known never to wear a pair of socks twice. Since I don’t allow myself that kind of luxury, I do the next best thing, and wear really good quality socks. Your celebration can be anything from a guilt-free walk around the block to a tiny little splurge on organizing items for you new, spiffed up space.
By the way, if you find brand new, never-worn socks that you are willing to part with from your drawer, please donate them to The Joy of Sox, This is Philly-based charity helps make homeless toes healthy & happy all throughout the country!
If you are visiting this page as part of the 7 Day Sort and Succeed Quick Start, watch your email for tomorrow’s organizing mini-project.
If you just landed her through serendipity, subscribe now to get start your own organizing Quick Start program.